Rose water is the hydrosol portion of the distillate of rose petals. It is one of the most fundamental beauty products critical to the beauty regimen of millions of women across the world.
Generally it is suitable for all skin types be it oily, dry, combination or sensitive. It can and should be used by anyone irrespective of their age or gender.
Not just a beauty must have, consuming rose naturally made water is said to be great for health too.
In this and a subsequent article will try to cover all the major aspects related to rose water- how it’s made, it’s benefits for skin, hair & general health, DIY recipes & why Pahada Rose Water is probably one of the best natural rose waters available in the market today.
How is rose water made?
Pure Rosewater also called Rose Hydrosol, Rose Distillate and Rose Hydrolat is made by a process of Steam Distillation.
After the roses are collected and washed they are placed in a special distillation unit. Then a stream of low-pressure steam is discharged through the fresh blossoms to release the essential oil into the vapor.
The aromatic vapor is then condensed by cooling the coil. This vapor which is collected is called rose water. Since it contains all the water-soluble goodness of the rose is has a ton of therapeutic benefits for the skin, body, and hair.
Therefore it should only consist of 2 ingredients – rose petals and water.
What are the benefits of using Rosewater?
1. Tones your skin – Pure rose water is gentle in nature and helps maintain the skin’s pH balance. It possesses an astringent property which helps clean the pores of oil and grime toning the skin further.
2. Antibacterial and Anti-Inflammatory properties – It helps improve your complexion and reduce skin redness. Regular using it prevent problems like blackheads, whiteheads, acne and pimple.
3. Hydrates your skin – It helps freshen up your skin by settling into your pores and providing it with mild hydration. The skin will feel cool, soft and soothed instantly. You can use it directly or mix rose water in your face mask, cream or lotion.
4. Anti Ageing – It has high antioxidant content and hence helps neutralize the free radicals and to keep your skin healthy and young.
5. Anti-anxiety and stress reliever – Rosewater (especially damask rose water) is found to have anti-anxiety properties and regular use helps to relax, calm nerves and uplifts mood.
How to identify pure and good quality rose water?
1. Read the ingredient listed on the bottle. It shouldn’t mention anything other than rose & distilled water. If it does, then it surely is NOT pure rose water.
2. Look for the word steam-distillation on the bottle. This method of productions retains essential nutrients and ensures purity.
3. It should be transparent in color. If the color is pink, it likely has additives.
4. It is also very important that the Roses used to make the rose water should be organically grown.
5. Steam distillation process – Because rose oil is so highly prized, rose water is often re-distilled one or more times to remove as much oil as possible to sell separately. This leaves the remaining water very low or without oil, and it also removes the water-soluble compound that accounts for the rose aroma.
What are damask roses?
Damask rose originating from Middle East has a deep, potent scent. As on e of the oldest rose varieties, the Damask has given birth to thousands of new varieties while maintaining its own unique heritage. The Damask is a shrub rose, typically known for its sprawling growth habits. It can reach up to 7 feet in height. World renowned for its fine fragrance and perfume production, Damask roses make a beautiful and fragrant showing.
What is so special about damask roses?
Damask rose contains a complex array of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It has excellent emollient properties for moisturizing dry skin; it also offers antiseptic and astringent properties to treat acneic skin, as well as anti-inflammatory properties that help treat redness and inflammation.
Rose Water recipes –
1. Acne killer – Lemon juice and rose water
Organic rosewater – 1 tablespoon
Freshly squeezed lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
Mix fresh lemon juice with rosewater and apply it over the acne. Leave it to dry. Wash off with warm water after 15 minutes. Repeat this process for a week for acne-free skin!
2. Rose Milk Moisturizing Bath for Dry Skin
Milk – 1.5 cups
Rice starch- 1 cup,
Rosewater – 2 tablespoons
Add to running water and mix around bath until dissolved.
3. Rose water eye relaxant
Chilled rosewater – few drops
Cotton pad or cotton balls
Place over to soothe red, tired eyes and reduce puffiness.
4. Honey and rose water skin lightening mix
Honey – 2 tablespoons
Rosewater – 2 tablespoons
Mix the rose water and honey. Use a cotton ball to apply a uniform layer of the pack all over your face and neck. Wash with warm water after 15 minutes.
5. Cooling Face mask – Multani Mitti and rosewater
sandalwood – 2 tablespoons
Rosewater – 2 tablespoons
Mix 2 tbsp. Of Multani mitti and 3-4 tbsp. rose water and make a smooth paste. Apply for 15 minutes. Apply 2-3 times a week for best results.